31 March 2010

{Recipe} Berries & Bananas Individual Shortcakes - Recipe!

I'm looking at this picture as I post this posting and it makes me want to make these all over again since they were so yummy! :-) (I made them about two weeks ago...in which case now they're all gone!) My sister suggested I try this recipe...which she got off of the Food Network website and I'm so glad she did! They're one of Paula Deen's recipes...and hello...you can't go wrong with Paula Deen! I'll post her original recipe first and then my variation using the berries & bananas after...ENJOY!!! :-)


Ingredients
1 quart strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/4 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons sugar, plus 8 teaspoons
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon
baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
2/3 cup half-and-half, plus 1/4 cup
Sweetened whipped cream
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish


Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a medium mixing bowl, toss the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar together. Set aside until time to serve.

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder, salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then pulse in the cold butter cubes until a coarse meal is formed. Turn the flour mixture out into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in 2/3 cup half-and-half and gently mix it in with a rubber spatula or fork, be careful not to over mix the dough or the biscuits will be tough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a couple of times until it just holds together. Pat the dough out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut out 8 round 3-inch biscuits.

Transfer the biscuits to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the remaining half-and-half and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon sugar. Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the biscuits have risen and are a light golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Split each biscuit, spoon some strawberries on the bottom piece, then whipped cream and top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with fresh mint and more strawberries.

My Variation

So instead of using strawberries...I used about four cups of frozen mixed berries (they have a great blend at Costco). I used about a half a cup of granulated sugar and mixed the frozen mixed berries together and put aside in a tupperware container. (You can do this the night before and just stick in refrigerator so they'll thaw out by the time you need to use them). OR if you do it right before, you can always heat up the berries on the stove with the sugar to unthaw them. Then...RIGHT before serving...I cut up about 2 or 3 bananas into little pieces and put them into the berries mix. Follow directions above swapping out strawberries for the mixed berries and bananas and you're on your way to having the most fabulous summer/spring dessert...or gosh...I'd probably serve these babies up for breakfast too! :-)

Oh and one more thing I did differently is using large granulated sugar crystals for the tops of the shortcakes instead of regular sugar...it adds a special touch to it! (Here's a link to the kind I used!)

Let me know if you have any questions and have a fabulous day!

luv, naz

2 comments:

  1. Here let it be noted that I (sascha) am the "sister" that "suggested I try" . Actually, I just want Laurie http://www.forkandthecork.blogspot.com and Jannell http://www.jannellskitchen.blogspot.com to know that it was I, the eldest, least kitchen prone and definitely "once-a-year" baker that found and made this recipe. For those of you that bake at least twice a year, you won't have any trouble. When I made it the first time (2008), however, I somehow had way too much flour (I probably was using 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup to measure out 2 cups and lost count) and then before I realized my error, tried to fix it by increasing the liquid.... well my "quick" shortcake took almost four hours and a few tears to complete. My husband gave me a great compliment now and I did make them again in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sascha-- Thank you for the "shout out"~! Naz, the shortcake looks divine!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...