02 October 2009

{Recipe} Peanut Butter + Kisses = Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies!

When I was growing up, our family wasn't allowed to have sugar. (...GASP!!) I know!!!!!!! Tragic isn't it? ;-) My mother was determined to keep us all (7) kids healthy. I have a feeling it was because we didn't have health insurance to cover any sort of sicknesses, trips to the doctors, or dentists visits. But whatever the reason...the result of being denied sugar: is that now I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I love sugar. I love everything sugary and sweet and scrumptious. I'd rather eat dessert than dinner any day of the week. Icecream? I scream: heck yes!

So...I happen to have a very fond memory of our neighbors who lived next door to us when we were younger. (Jeff & Christie Kurtz). I remember going over to their house and Christie would have gallon-sized zip-lock bags filled with cookies that she just freshly baked. This is probably the reason why I even started baking ~ after I realized I could create something (sweet) out of nothing- just by opening the cupboards and using stuff we USUALLY had on hand. If we didn't ~ I'd be knocking on Christie's door for a cup of sugar (because my mom only had honey in her cupboard to use in recipes) or eggs or whatever! :-) I was so sad when they ended up moving away...but (thankfully) they ended up having kids that I eventually got to come and babysit. I remember going to their new house and spending a couple evenings with just Christie and we would just bake away. Christie has the BEST cookie recipes ever! Which is why I've kept the ones she gave me - all these 13-some years! SO....I hope you don't mind, Christie~ but I figured I'd go ahead and share this fabulously delicious recipe with all the rest of you!

Oh boy....Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies...here I come!

Here's the recipe card I kept from her (front & back) ~ I always thought she had the coolest hand-writing! :-)
Ingredients:

Directions: ***Notes***

I had to lower my oven temp to 370 degrees and could only bake my cookies for about 9 1/2 minutes before they were done. I am using the only cookie pans I have that fit in my oven that is a dark pan - so I think that's why they cooked so fast!

I'd probably take them out a little before you THINK they are done. Then, immediately transfer the cookies onto a cooling rack (or paper towels).

Unwrap the Hershey's kisses while the cookies are cooking so when you take the cookies out of the oven and transfer them ~ you can press the kiss into the middle of the cookies immediately. If you wait until the cookies cool off too much -the kiss won't "stick" to the cookie and the cookie will break apart trying to press it in.

Just recently, my sisters, my mom and I got to spend a little time with Christie again ~ this time at my house. :-) It was so great to catch up and reminisce! We actually decided that we'll need to plan a Christmas-cookie-baking party together this year. I'm REALLY looking forward to it! :-)

I'm sure we'll be breaking out her sugar cookie recipe too! Its the best sugar cookie recipe ever! I'll be sure to share it with you when we get around to planning our little party.
Anyway ~ I hope you enjoy these Hershey Kiss Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies as much as I do!! :-)
xoxoxo
naz

2 comments:

  1. Naz, those cookies look AMAZING! I am going to bake them this weekend, Yum! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH goodie!! Let me know how they turn out! :-)
    I was going back and forth between getting the "hugs" version with white chocolate and chocolate kisses- but I think the original kisses are the best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...