27 October 2009

{DIY: Holiday Decor} Polka-Dot Pumpkin - Happy Fall!

So....just wanted to wish you all a HAPPY FALL! I have to say that I have been thoroughly celebrating the season by enjoying a little pumpkin in everything...which includes: pumpkin in my coffee, pumpkin icecream, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, cereal with pumpkin seeds...etc...etc! Oh so yum! I'm also getting to enjoy the Fall season by just looking outside on my deck ~ as it is absolutely covered with leaves! I love the colors and coziness of this season...which makes me want to stay in at night and watch movies with a fire going, candles lit and with a HUGE blanket that I can cozy up in - preferrably with my husband cuddling up next to me. I hope you are enjoying this season as much as I am! If not...I have the perfect pumpkin muffin recipe to share with you all this coming week to help you get in the swing of things! So...keep an eye out for it!:-)

For now though...I'll let you in on a little secret as to how to carve a "polka-dot" pumpkin....so scroll below for directions! :-)


Supplies Needed: Regular pumpkin carving tools, drill with bit equal to the size of "polka-dots" that u want (I used a 1/4" bit), and optional are the mini ball gems (I believe u can find these at Michaels or any other craft store in the floral section ~ my carving tool kit actually came with the ones shown in these pictures! )

Step 1: Carve off top of pumpkin (I used a zig zag design ~ but I think it takes away from the cute dots- so next time I'll probably just do it the simple way).

Step 2: Gut Pumpkin

Step 3: Drill Holes randomly all through sides of pumpkin to give it the "polka-dot" look. If u use the 1/4" bit and are using the mini ball gems, then just carefully make each hole bigger by moving the drill in a small circular fashion while drilling each hole...this will help you enlargen the hole just big enough to fit the ball gems into the holes on the side of the pumpkin.

Step 4: Push each ball gem into the drilled holes.

Step 5: Put on porch and light some tea-lights inside! OH and I made the mistake of fitting the lid of the pumpkin back into it while the candles were lit...and they went out because there wasn't enough air flow....so just put the lid back on slightly off so there is plenty of airflow! :-)

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Hmmm...a pumpkin spice latte is calling my name now....

luv, naz

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...